Sunday, 7 September 2014

Blood Angels: Sanguinary Priest, Assault Squad and Games Day Captain built

He has the Jump Pack from the Sanguinary Guard kit, but without the silly wings

Got some hobby done today in the building of an Assault Squad, Sanguinary Priest and the Games Day Captain. I also managed to get the interiors of the tanks primed so I can get all the details done before they're built. Hopefully, I'll have some painting progress to report on those very soon.

Two plasma pistols, with the remaining five to have no special weapons

Friday, 5 September 2014

Why are there no more banners?

Something struck me recently about 40k in recent years, a lack of something. Banners. There are a lot less than there were in yesteryear, particularly Second Edition and Rogue Trader. Seeing as how my plan is to recreate that early 40k feel, it's important that there are a good number of banners in the army.

Banners and Blood Angel orange - what could be better?
Going way back, banners used to mean something in both game terms and also background. With this in mind, my tactical and devastator squads will have sergeants with back banners, and all HQs will also be modelled similarly. I'm not sold on the Venerable Dreadnought so it's replacement (either a standard dread or perhaps librarian dreadnought) will also have a banner. 

Tuesday, 26 August 2014

Blood Angels: Plastic Librarian Conversion

Following on from my previous post, I have now begun work on the army. This is the first model to be completed, a librarian conversion from the Space Marine Commander kit included in the Strikeforce set. I'm happy with how it's come out, using a Sanguinary Guard sword and the bearded head from the new plastic Sternguard.

Friday, 22 August 2014

Blood Angels: Why, what and how the army will take shape

This is why. This one character, here isolated from a larger piece of art by John Blanche which sat upon the 2nd Edition 40k box (and the Codex Imperialis book that box contained) is the reason I'm doing Blood Angels. This is the artwork that, for me, was and is 40k. With that in mind, I obviously painted up one of the Games Day 2012 sculpts of this model some time ago and now am going to base an entire army around the 2nd Edition Blood Angels Captain. I've acquired another brand new one from eBay, so adding that to the list of models I mentioned in my previous post I have a solid collection to build. To recap, I bought:
  • Space Marine Strike Force box
  • Sternguard Squad
  • Baal Predator
  • Razorback
  • Devastator Squad
This gives me a lot of troops and options and the addition of another five marines from a friend of mine (thanks Chris!), my plan is as follows...
  • Games Day Blood Angel is the Captain and Warlord
  • The 'Space Marine Commander' sprues, along with some spare parts will make up a Librarian
  • The Command Squad sprues will combine with the new plastic Sternguard squad to make a ten-man Sternguard squad
  • The Devastator box which contains enough heavy weapons for two squads will be made into two five-man squads with the addition of the five spare marines
  • Two ten-man Tactical squads, the five-man Assault squad and Scouts will be as normal.
  • Venerable Dreadnought will play as a standard Dreadnought.
  • Razorbacks will be built to be used as either Razorbacks or Rhinos, by not attaching the top hatches
This, without any weapon upgrades (as I've not built them yet) comes in just shy of 1700 points, so I can easily see it reaching the 2000 point mark without overdoing it. Potentially, I might be adding in a set of the Space Hulk Terminators (oddly, as Dark Angel allies to make their weapon loadouts legal) but thats further down the line.

In terms of how it will play in 7th Edition, I don't really mind. I've bought it as I want to recreate a 2nd Edition army (without all the shiny Blood Angels things from the 5th Edition codex, such as Sanguinary Guard), and with that in mind I've been digging through my old books to find the rather wonderful paint scheme from the 1994 "'Eavy Metal Warhammer 40,000 Painting Guide". Below is their take on it: note the Blood Angel Orange paint!

 Luckily, I still have a pot - but I'm going to have to source some Vallejo alternatives to do the whole lot...

One other thing that struck me as I was reading through "White Dwarf Presents: Warhammer 40,000 Battles" (!) was the points changes since those days... Below is a 1522 point Blood Angels army taken from that book:

In the current codex, this comes in at 1020 points (after you move the Rhino from the Terminator squad to the Tacticals...). Being honest, I expected a bigger difference but its still a big drop (and the only thing not making the points difference bigger is the astronomical costs Blood Angels pay for heavy weapons in the current codex!).

All that aside, I'm really looking forward to this project.

Wednesday, 13 August 2014

New Blood Angels army arrives

So, I couldn't stay away from 40k that long... I managed a few months which is nowhere near as impressive as a decade like last time. I've gone and bought a brand new army, which is unusual for me. Ahead of me (us, if you keep reading the upcoming posts) I have a lot of gluing and painting as its a 2000 point list I'm working towards. I was tempted to make a late entry into the Independent Character's Hobby Progress Challenge, but I'm pretty sure that would be a bad idea.

I have bought the following:
  • Space Marine Strike Force box
  • Sternguard Squad
  • Baal Predator
  • Razorback
  • Devastator Squad
I'm watching the bay of e for a decently priced Games Day Blood Angel (much like the one I painted up a year or so ago) and might boost the army up with some of the Space Hulk Terminators, if I can find them at a good price that is... We'll see. This might also prompt me to do something interesting with the large scale Forge World marine I have, but I'm not sure yet.
Related Posts with Thumbnails